Thursday, March 5, 2009

the river

i grew up near a river. it was on the other side of some railroad tracks that ran parallel to its own course. we played there alot as kids growing up in the early sixties. today's parents would be horrified to see their son tromping off to play in such unchartered waters. we thought nothing of it. the 2nd week of april meant getting up real early and gathering at various bends in the river. we plied the cool waters with our little zebco rod and reels with worms or kernels attached to shiny hooks. every once in awhile i might manage to snag a trout but for the most part i just caught cold. but it was fun and it was ritual for my brothers and friends. being a kid in the sixties is different than today. in a way we seemed to have the last innocent childhood.there were no playdates, xboxes or virtual friends. organization hadn't ground the fun out of sports. imaginations ran wild along with neighbor kids through backyards in summer. you NEVER wanted to be inside on hot summer's eve. we played capture the flag, red light, hide 'n' seek and shot at each other with homemade bows and arrows.and batted rocks, with sticks no less.in winter we sled, all day long. we threw snowballs with abandon and made a few bucks shoveling driveways. yes thats right, we shoveled. its different for kids today. we expect everything to be mapped out , planned to a t right from the start if only you can get into the right preschool then surely harvard and a bright future will follow. the pressure to get good grades, no, great grades starts oh so very young. i think the mad rush to grow up has resulted in unintended consequences. more and more children today are feeling nostalgic for a past that went by in a blur.when they grow up too fast something gets lost along the way. the pure joy of being a child changes and becomes forever lost. and thats a shame......goodnight and sleep tight, jc.....remember, teach your children well

5 comments:

  1. Like Cat Stevens, I wonder "where do the children play?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I was touched with your blog! Exactly, with all the new things like the internet (which, if I'm not mistaken was introduced around 1994) the videogame consoles and handhelds and other virtual things, the old days are slowly fading away. Or has faded away, especially in the city.

    I enjoyed a lot when I was a kid. I actually always go out everyday back then to play with kids on my neighborhood. We play all kinds of games, even the old ones! It's so much fun than facing a virtual world and most of the people you might not even meet them or even know much about them!

    Ah well, the good old days. Nowadays it's all about studying hard, working hard, building a family, dying and repeat. We forget some of the most important things! I guess I'm pretty satisfied with my childhood. My frustration is that I want to know more about the world!

    Very thought provoking,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops, I mean, I'm not contented with what I know at my age! I want to learn and do other things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. deedee, great song, even better message. halfcrazy, thanks for your comments. remember.....''and a child shall lead them', take good care and best of luck in school. it is a big world out there, enjoy....jc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I'm always ready to explore out there! If only I have the money to travel around! :P

    ReplyDelete