Thursday, March 12, 2009

north, again

yes i'm heading north again. up to maine, the pinetree state. maine used to be part of my state, massachusetts, many years ago. it's got a lovely coast line, drawn as if one was shivering to death whilst trying to map it. for good reason. from november to maybe....may it is always winter up there. i go up to see some family members who migrated north in the late eighties, 1980's. known for lobsters and moose [the state, not my family..] maine is a rather large, at least for new england, wilderness. once past augusta, the capital, maine keeps on going and going till iy spills into canada. most of the area is made up of numbered townships, vast sections dominated by trucks hauling lumber and hardy souls exploring the wilderness. i have been a good ways downeast, as the northern coast is called but i never got to the top. i love all the wildlife one encounters if you know where to look. or if your patient. beavers, eagles, the aforementioned moose, bear, deer and an other assorted creatures prowl the woods. i'd love to live up there someday, a small out of the way pond or lake would be preferable. i can hack the cold...well now i can. as i get older i'm sure winter loses its charm. but the idea of going back to nature does hold a certain fascination with me. a place where i can write, observe and quietly blend in with the surroundings. yes, north it shall be.......till then, i''ll be around, jc

7 comments:

  1. Yes, Maine is lovely but there's that whole deep freeze thing every year - I wish we could just trade climates with Florida-then I'd move North.

    ReplyDelete
  2. but then it wouldn't be maine......i do know what you mean though, heehee....brrrrr, jack c

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah you would miss the hectic life in the city if you move somewhere quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will be great, I think. It's alright to get away from the city for a while. Been thinking about it too, a day out of the city would be fine for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I happen to like the cold. :] In my opinion, I think the temperature of anything can affect your mood. Like when I get into a warm shower, the day just seems longer to me. More relaxed. If I bring it down just a few notches, I'm more energetic. x3

    -Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, you slowed me way down, eliminating all the stop lights and Capitals and breathing pauses. I got thinking that the mood in this first piece is suggestive of a pace you wish to accomplish. Well crafted, stylish.

    I bet, though, your English teacher went bananas.

    ReplyDelete