Wednesday, March 11, 2009

the daily news

first let me say, i grew up on newspapers. they were an important part of daily life.my father would bring home the record american every evening and we would race to the car to see who would snag the first edition .....and wish father well of course. over the years breakfast wasn't complete if there were no box scores or comic section to smudge with butter or spill juice upon. you can see why the 1st reading was highly prized. information was not a 24 hour loop as is todays musings. older folks watched the 6' oclock news and maybe stayed awake for the late edition but there were no stations that ran tickers along the bottom of your screen or devoted so much talk and analysis to every possible happening in the world. and it's worse or better today, depending on your view.....now you can be in touch with my space, facebook, twitter dee, twitter dumb and a host of ever changing technology sweeping around the globe in maddening speed. the newspaper, as it is presently constituted, is doomed. gone the way of the pony express and everyone's 401k's. i for one am going to miss them. there is something about the printed word, black ink set against a bone white paper that can't be easily replaced. you can call me cranky, outdated, a curmudgeon, you can mock my views and laugh at my futile attempts to hang on to the past. the mere fact that i'm typing away on a computer instead of sending off a sharply written letter to the editor probably brings smiles and knowing looks to the next wave. that's okay. just bring me my paper, early if possible and let me start the day off the way i always did. at a leisurely pace, without all the connections, blurs and beeps of the modern world. happy readings to ya''ll, jc.........

4 comments:

  1. Seems like you always reminisce nowadays. :)

    I read newspapers (especially the information technology section) like a year ago when we always have people bringing newspapers everyday but then it kinda stopped because of a financial crisis. And then we somehow made through the crisis, and I get to use the internet more often. There's news on the internet and on TV so why read newspapers? But that's just me, I'm not really an avid reader of front pages. There are still a lot of people buying newspapers in my country, though. Not a lot of people have internet.

    Your post made me check my Twitter lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read on an article once, that many towns are losing their newspapers. Because the internet has taken over, a lot of people just log on, see what's going on, and then log off.

    I find it really sad, especially since it's becoming the same with books. E-books are slowly growing more and more popular and it's only a matter of time until books end up like newspapers.

    Maybe it's just me, since I personally like the smell of a new book, or the sound of a page being flipped. And the fact that I want to "hold my story in my own hands" one day.

    Your post makes me that the fact as people try to make life more and more easier, it gets more complicated from underneath. But that's just me. :(

    -Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  3. half crazy, you are right, i am looking back alot lately, must be my age. i will start looking forward, maybe, heehee...jc

    ReplyDelete
  4. poppy, thanks for dropping in from the left coast. i certainly hope books and newspapers survive....take good care and write the great american novel, ya never know, jc

    ReplyDelete