Friday, February 6, 2009

south we go

waking up round three, though i don't recall ever sleeping, we realized we had camped out on a traffic island. the first day of travel had got us to new jersey, not great but we had survived. i say that because later that day while thumbing on the turnpike a pair of nj's finest stopped and asked for id......in case we were later found dumped on the side of the road. a charming thought but not one that had entered our minds. i used to recall every ride, from start to finish but time has slowly melted a few details. but i do know, just outside of washington, northern virginia to be exact, a red car with a confederate star license plate pulled over late that afternoon and as we ran to catch up with it i remember thinking this could be interesting. and interesting it was, turns out the driver, a man named phil, was from our home state. he was driving his sisters's car to alabama and he didn't mind the company. even though he was a complete stranger we felt safe, we settled in for a long ride, georgia as it turned out. day two had gone swimmingly and now we prepared for the deep south......to be cont. next;batesburg and beyond

4 comments:

  1. Ah, memories! Cast me back there, Lord! What the hell were we thinking? It's all Mac's fault...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I can remember hitch-hiking at one time myself, and I felt perfectly safe. I wonder about it now, though.

    I must say, there are mornings when the bus is late ... yet again ... when I am tempted to stick my thumb out for a ride. Common sense prevails, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. still think you could thumb today, it is a crap shoot though, jc

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a 'charming' couple in England who used to pick up young girls - unfortunately the girls then went missing and years later were found murdered, buried under said charming couple's home and garden - I hitch-hiked once when about 12 or 13 in Perth, West Australia and when my Mother found out, I dont think I was able to sit down for a week... and privileges were suspended for 3 months... ouch! Guess overall, I was lucky though...

    ReplyDelete